Advanced Dry Needling for Orthopedic Rehab and Sport Performance
In this 25-hour lab-based course, the clinician will expand on the diagnosis-focused approach to dry needling and intramuscular stimulation. Further development of the Pentamodal Method introduced in the Foundations Class will be a major focus for this course, emphasizing a whole body treatment approach to dry needling. Safety considerations will continue to be a priority. Science and research supporting the Pentamodal Method will be presented and discussed. Elements of sport performance, recovery and regeneration concepts, and acute injury management will all be included. The instructor’s vast amount of clinical experience in sport performance and sport rehab will immediately expand upon your utilization of dry needling within your orthopedic/ sport rehabilitation and sport performance practice.
Areas of the body / topics to be covered in class include:
- Cervical spine (including anterior cervical spine)
- Thoracic spine
- Lumbar spine (L1-L3 included)
- Expansion of the Pentamodal Method including fascial areas and peri-neural tissue
- Acute trauma and swelling
- Recovery and regeneration protocols for sport performance
- Additional areas of the upper and lower extremities as well as the face and head will be covered and expanded upon from Foundations to expand upon your current treatment interventions
Upon course completion, the clinician will:
- Adhere to safe needling techniques, including universal precautions and blood borne pathogen education per the CDC and/or OSHA given a specific case study.
- Integrate surface anatomy palpation and layered anatomy application for safety considerations when inserting a dry needle into a patient given a specific case study.
- Master application of dry needling techniques for general recovery and regeneration.
- Master application of dry needling techniques for acute injuries given a specific case study.
- Master application of dry needling in advanced areas of the body including the spine and abdomen
- Master the application of all 5 anatomical considerations of the Pentamodal Method
- Master application of intramuscular electrical stimulation to enhance outcomes for the common orthopedic pathologies and sport related dysfunctions given a specific case study.
- Present a case study for safe and effective dry needling application
Structure & Function’s Foundations in Dry Needling for Orthopedic Rehab and Sport Performance
- Pelham TW, Holt LE, Stalker R. Acupuncture in human performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2001;15(2):266–271.
- Urroz P, Colagiuri B, Smith CA, Cheema BS. Effect of Acute Acupuncture Treatment on Exercise Performance and Postexercise Recovery: A Systematic Review. J Altern Complement Med. 2013;19(1):9-16. doi:10.1089/acm.2011.0727.
- Stecco, L. Fascial Manipulation for Musculoskeletal Pain. Picin: Padova, IT;. 2004.
- Dung, H. Acupuncture: An Anatomical Approach. 2nd Edition. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL; 2014.
All supplies necessary for the course will be provided with the following exceptions:
- Please bring an anatomy reference and an electrical stimulation unit with alligator clips to class
- If you have a latex allergy, it is recommended for you to bring your own gloves for use during lab. A latex free option is available for use, but supplies are limited based on the number of people with an allergy. Therefore, it is recommended to bring a box of latex free gloves with you for use.
Course Supplies Requirements:
- An anatomy reference
- Human Anatomy Atlas for iPad/ iPhone/ Android-
- YOU WILL BE GIVEN A CODE FOR A FREE ONE-YEAR DOWNLOAD AFTER YOU REGISTER FOR CLASS
- This code will be emailed to you 7-10 days prior to the course you are registered for
- If you are still using the code from the Foundations class, wait until that code expires and you may use this code for an additional year of use once it expires
- Please save this additional code for your future use. It cannot be provided to you in the future if lost
- Human Anatomy Atlas for iPad/ iPhone/ Android- $24.99 App Store
- Portable TENS Unit. The following is recommended. Links open in a new window.
- Cupping Set (OPTIONAL). The following is recommended but others are acceptable. Links open in a new window.
You will receive an email 7-10 prior to the course you register for with the following:
- Any course specific instructions such as location reminder, parking instructions, etc.
- A 2nd code for the Visable Body app, once your original code expires
- Instructions for the use of this code will be provided at that time. Please be sure to download and successfully access this app prior to class.
- Log-in information and instructions for the back end of www.structureandfunction.net
- This log in information will allow you to access the Advanced Course power points, class forums, helpful forms, etc.
- Please be sure to log in successfully to the back end of the website prior to class